Movies: Okay, here’s what I’ve seen this summer and what I think.
- Tomb Raider was crap. Complete and total crap. Even the hot chick couldn’t save it. I’m sorry, I was unfortunately expecting more from this movie, something along the lines of Indiana Jones. Instead I got a pile or crap. The plot was weak, the characters weaker, the dialogue horrible, ugh, ugh, ugh. A little TOO mindless for my liking. I guess that I wasn’t a big fan of the game doesn’t help my opinion either.
- Moulin Rogue was surprizingly good. I’m not a huge Baz Lurhman fan, but his style worked wonders with this movie. Nicole Kidman’s hot. And she’s got a good voice. Ewan Macgregor too, I was surprized. It’s a good, fun movie. If you’re a fan of old musicals, you’ll probably hate it with all it’s modern music and fast movements and all, most big musical fans feel that way. Me, while I like some musicals, this was a good one. Very well done.
- Schreck was a great movie. Oh, man, it was good. Hilarious and well done, the animation was amazing. They actually had to go back and edit the movie to make the Princess look less real for a lower rating (little factoid for ya there). This is cartoony enough for kids to enjoy but to get the real enjoyment of the movie you have to be a bit older. The jokes are great and it’s very well done.
- The Score ruled. Ed Norton’s quickly becoming one of my favorite actors and, hell, Robert Deniro’s in the flick, that’s a good enough draw for me. Toss in Marlon Brando not being creepy and Angela Bassett being herself and you have a great cast on an amazing script. Good movie.
- Planet of the Apes was visually amazing, typical Tim Burton. The script left a bit to be desired, but it was forgivable as it’s a kitchy sci-fi flick and it’s not supposed to make complete sense, it’s fantasy. Charleton Heston’s dissertation against guns was a funny in the context of Heston. You have to see it to believe it.
What’s coming up that I want to see: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (sigh, last J&SB in View Askew movies.), The Lord of the Rings (this is gonna rule!) and a bunch of movies next year, but I’ll talk about them later.